Beautiful Guatemala

Beautiful Guatemala
Me with a random field worker. I love the knife!

Monday, May 7, 2012

Takalik Abaj

Hey guys!

Hopefully things are going well in America. We had a busy week, but I'm still trying to think of what to tell y'all...Here it goes!

1. Takalik Abaj  Some of us missionaries just got back from visiting some ruins called Tak alik-abaj. They were pretty cool! There weren't big pyramids like you see on TV, but they are apparently very archaeologically significant ruins of Olmec and Mayan tribes, so basically the  Book of Mormon :) It was really beautiful and jungly and very interesting, I just love museums and things like that. There were lots of statues of animal-human creatures, lots of alters (maybe for sacrifices!), and ruins of streets and staircases. I wish there were more things like that in my mission, but unfortunately all the really cool stuff is outside my mission...oh well Ill just have to come back and visit.

2. Marcela and her children are now getting baptized on the 19Th of May, because Marcela didn't make it to church...bummer, but that's how it goes. Even though we had that little setback, I am still amazed by these guys. If y'all remember, shes the 26 year old single mom of 5. They are reading the Book of Mormon as a family and praying and doing everything right to be ready to be baptized. It is just amazing that Heavenly Father put them in our path, from what we can see, they're perfect and ready! We are hoping to work with their other family members that live close by too. They're just a sweet little family -- last night we all had a laugh attack at something that the four year old said, the whole family was laughing their heads off -- they're just cute and sweet like that. 

3. As for the rest of our investigators, I feel like we are at about the same point as we were last week. We found some positive new investigators this week, and had some really good lessons with them. Their names are Elvira, the mom, and her 7 kids, 3 of whom are married. Even though they didn't make it to church on Sunday, I'm really excited about them, there is a lot of potential in there, and the Spirit was very present in the lesson. I really hope to watch some of these new people progress.

4. Quick funny side note:  Well, In case y'all haven't put it together, Guatemala is VERY different from America, different in EVERY way, every single way. There really is nothing similar...or so I thought. This week I found something that the US and Guatemala have in common: waiting in the line at Walmart. Well, kind of. There is a grocery store chain here that is owned by Walmart, and we went last week, and, just like the Walmarts in America, there were several cash registers, but only like 3 open, everyone waiting in GIANT lines! We waited almost an hour! I know that if my dad had been here he'd have been talking to the manager and also becoming best friends with the people in line haha.  But  yes, at last I have found something that America and Guatemala have in common. And that's about it.

Well that's pretty much all I can think of. I'm very excited to talk to my family on Sunday, Mothers Day!!! And I'm really glad to be here, learning all that I'm learning. I know that the Gospel is true. I know that the Book of Mormon is proof that there are living prophets today, and proof of the restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I love the Gospel!  Have a fantastic week and a happy Mothers Day!!!

Love, Hermana Gilland

No comments:

Post a Comment