Beautiful Guatemala

Beautiful Guatemala
Me with a random field worker. I love the knife!

Monday, April 30, 2012

Battling Wild Dogs With Our Umbrellas

Helloooo!! 

I hope that things are going great in America. Things are going well here in Guate. We are still teaching some great people and had lots of really great experiences this week. Here is what we did:

1. Marcela and kids preparing for baptism!  I can never remember what I wrote the week before, but 2 weeks ago we found a lady named Marcela. Shes 26 and has 5 kids, the oldest is 11 and the youngest 6 months. Well, they are just super awesome and she and the 2 oldest kids are preparing to be baptized on the 12Th of this month! They are just really special, the kids are super well-behaved and love being at church. This Sunday, even though Marcela and one of the kids were sick and throwing up, they made it to the first hour of church! What faith they have! The members are all getting excited for their baptism too. Well see this week what Satan's got because I'm sure he'll be fighting against this. But these guys are super prepared, and I'm so excited to watch the Gospel of Jesus Christ change their lives so much!

2. Mildrid is progressing slowly but surely! Well I'm pretty sure Ive mentioned Mildrid before. We've been teaching her for over a month. She is SUPER Evangelica, and so its been hard. She didn't go to church last week and we saw in the week the results that that took. We had an appointment with her one evening, just like always, but this night was different. She lives down a little alley that is usually lit and full of kids playing, but this night, there was no one, it was dark and creepy. And when we got up to her house, a bunch of dogs attacked us and we had to battle them off with our umbrellas! It was like Satan himself was trying to stand guard, unsuccessfully. When we finally got in with her, she sweetly welcomed us but started to tell us that she didn't want to do this anymore, that she just thought all churches were the same, she had been praying and wanted a big sign and wasn't satisfied with the small spiritual experiences shed had. So we had to battle Satan's influence some more! We really tried hard to testify powerfully and help her to understand the necessity of a restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and in the end she said shed keep trying and that she would go to church with us one more time, to be sure of her decision. OK. Well, fast-forward to Sunday morning, we go by early to make sure that shes OK with a member passing by for her later, and she starts to tell us again that shes sorry but that she doesn't want to do this anymore. Well, she has her agency right, and there is no point in just whining or guilting people into doing what you want. So I was ready to drop her, even though it was breaking my heart, and we testified of what we had taught and shared a scripture to finish. Well, she then said that she wanted to keep reading the Book of Mormon and praying, and I challenged her to go to church with us that morning too, but to definitely not do it just for my companion and I, and she was hesitant but agreed, but said that she would meet us there on her own, that we didn't need to pass by for her. Well, normally that means that they're not coming. Pretty much always. Especially after the last two meetings we had with her. So I was sad and just figured we wouldn't be seeing her for a while...but guess what SHE CAME! She came by herself! Because she really wants to know if our message is true! And she had a nice time at church, and we have an apt with her on Tuesday to see how shes feeling now. I know we aren't in the clear with her, but that was a big step of faith that she took, and I know that the Lord knows and with bless her. So we are REALLY hopeful about Mildrid! And we are really grateful that the Spirit helped us to testify with power, to at least make her want to know if what we are saying is true. 

3. Fasting with Family Milian: Ive talked about these guys a lot, and they are so cool. Their only challenge though is the fact that he studies for free on Sundays. And so we had a special fast, them and us, fasting that Luis would have the courage to talk to his bosses, use the right words, and that their hearts would be softened. And we still don't know the results of his meeting with his bosses, but all 4 of us just had a wonderful fasting experience. They didn't know anything about fasting of course, but when we asked how they had felt, they both said they just felt really peaceful, something really special. Ahh they're so great! I just know were going to see a miracle with them. Every time we meet with them they talk about how they want to get baptized, without us even mentioning it. They really are special and I'm hoping to be able to write next week that they'll be getting baptized on the 12Th too!

These last two things are just funny little things:
4. Marcela's baby peed all over me. Lovely. Heck, It didn't even bother me. But its funny!
5. I held a scorpion! Agh! Gross!

That was our week here! There were other great things that happened, but those were my favorites. During our fast I reflected a bit on how grateful I am to be here on a mission, for all the millions of things I'm learning, the people I'm meeting, everything. I celebrated my 10 month mark yesterday and it freaked me out. But I'm really grateful for this time, and for my Savior Jesus Christ, and all that I'm learning about Him. Thank you all for your support and have a great week!!

Love, Hermana Gilland

No comments:

Post a Comment