Beautiful Guatemala

Beautiful Guatemala
Me with a random field worker. I love the knife!

Monday, February 27, 2012

My Birthday is in Two Weeks

Hey Everyone! 

First of all, my birthday is in 2 weeks (on Pday!) and so I expect EVERYONE to write me long emails about their lives in America (especially my roommates!) If you don't write me, you should feel very guilty. He-he.

So today I'm struggling to think of things to write. I don't know why. I think that means that we need to do more. But here is what went down this week in Concepcion:

1. At the start of the week we didn't really have anyone great that we were teaching, so we've been doing lots of contacting and lots of asking for references. So now we have several people that were technically teaching, but we don't know if they're going to progress or not. We worked really hard all week to have these people we found come to church and.....no one came again! Aah it is the WORST when that happens. The WORST! Everyone just has lots of excuses or disappears or goes crazy. So that was a huge bummer. We work and teach all week and really, it all comes down to that hour or so before church, when we go around to everyone's houses to get them ready to go to church. If they decide not to come, we lose. We can teach the people all day every day, but they cant start making changes in their lives if they aren't willing to do SOMETHING themselves, like go to church. Its really frustrating. But that's how it goes, right? They've got their agency. And we missionaries just have to do better. And we are going to do better. 

2. Something funny that happened this week -- evidence that Satan is working hard against the work.  So this coming weekend we are having stake conference, and its extra special because Elder Falabella (of the 70, hes the area president of central America) is coming and will be having a special meeting with the new converts, less actives, and investigators. So we have been preparing invitations and have been inviting everyone because its going to be really special. Well, yesterday, my comp and I were walking down the road, and we passed some Evangelicos who were passing out fliers, and they gave us a flyer. Guess what this flier is for??? An Evangelico Conference! And guess when it is...This coming weekend! And guess where it is.... Right next to the stake center!!! AAH!!! And these Evangelico conferences are basically just free food and crazy pastors yelling at everyone.NOOOO! Isn't that just crazy. We are trying to figure out how to use it to our advantage. We've gotta do something! Our conference is better. 
(And just FYI, I'm not knocking Evangelists or whatever they're called in English. The psycho churches out here are NOTHING like the ones in America, they're terrible here!)

3. Lastly, our Eternal Investigator.  We are teaching a guy whose been listening to the missionaries for a year. We are really working hard with him. His wife is a really awesome member. He is so close to knowing that the Gospel is true. It is one of my big goals to baptize him because he is so close! His name is Selvin. He comes to church every week and likes the church and everything.   We are close with him. He says that his heart is opening up more these days...so I'm really hoping to tell y'all in a few weeks that he has a baptismal date! 

That's pretty much what we did this week. We are working hard, and so I know that we are going to see results of some form sometime soon. I know that this church is true. Gosh every time someone tries to explain how the church isn't true, my testimony grows, because nothing else makes any sense! I just love the Gospel. I know that God has a plan for each of us, I know that He is organized. He didn't just set up a big mess of Christianity and call it good. He organized the Gospel. Jesus Christ came and organized one church, one true church and one true way of doing things here on the Earth. Only one. And we can find this one Gospel through prayer. I know that prayer is real. I know that the Holy Spirit helps us to know truth. I love the Gospel and I love that its the only thing I have to worry about right now in my life. Thanks for all your support! Have a wonderful week!!!

Love, Hermana Gilland

No comments:

Post a Comment