Beautiful Guatemala

Beautiful Guatemala
Me with a random field worker. I love the knife!

Monday, February 13, 2012

A Fun Week in Retalhuleu!

Hola family and friends!

So this week has been wild. Ive been in Reu (Retalhuleu), Las Palmas this week with Hermana Jimenez (of Dominican Republic). They stuck us temporarily living with and helping another pair of hermanas for the week until this Wednesday. Y'all must have prayed really hard for me because guess what....I'm not even training!! Yay! For sure next change Ill be training, but I still have a little time to prepare. Supposedly, I'm going to be opening area with someone, who knows who. Changes are always so stressful! But Wednesday is the day.  So here is the news of the week:

1. My old area rocks!   So this is news from my old area, but remember the 15 people we had in church last week?  The family and the drunk guy are getting baptized this week!! And maybe some others too! What a wonderful miracle. I was on cloud nine when my old comp, Hermana Hidalgo, told me. I'm super bummed that I'm not there anymore, but Its OK. I'm so grateful that I got to be there for part of their conversions. And hermana Hidalgo is going to give me photos of all these baptisms, I cant wait to see them!

2. Temple trip to Xela!!   Last Tuesday we went to the temple with President and Hna Maravilla. We were about 50 missionaries. It was so beautiful. I hadn't been to the temple since August, so it was wonderful to go and be spiritually refreshed. 

3. A week in Reu!   So Hermana Jimenez and I have been in Reu all week helping out Hermanas Cohuo and Aldana. They had a wedding and 2 baptisms to do this weekend, so I think they appreciated and extra pair of hermanas to help out. It has been super fun living as 4 hermanas. Its like being back in college. And Hermana Jimenez, Cohuo, and I all entered together in the same group, so were all good pals. We just stay up late chatting every day. Its cool because they're from Mexico, El Salvador, and Dominican Republic. Its amazing to learn about their lives. They're all converts to the church, and the most recent convert is Hna Aldana, who's been a member for a little over a year. When she joined the church, her family abandoned her. They don't write her at all, she has no idea how they are. Is that not the saddest. From what Ive gathered, she grew up in a shack in the woods, no electricity or water. She has nothing at all but she says shes rich because she has the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ.

My Spanish has also improved this week because we all talk so much. I really hope to live as 4 hermanas again in my mission. Its really fun. But I'm also really excited to get to my new area because I feel like I haven't been a real missionary all week. I have no investigators, I don't know anyone in the ward, I don't know whats going on here!  Also we have been eating a ton of food. I have to stop that quick if I want my clothes to still fit me he-he.

Anyways, that's been my week! Its been exciting and fun, and I'm excited to find out where the heck I'm going and who Ill be with! Thanks for your support and prayers! I'm so grateful for the Gospel. I'm grateful for all the things I'm learning. I know that the Book of Mormon is true. I know the Christ lives. Being a missionary is awesome!  Have a great week!

Love, 
Hermana Gilland

No comments:

Post a Comment