Beautiful Guatemala

Beautiful Guatemala
Me with a random field worker. I love the knife!

Monday, July 4, 2011

Kylie's First Week in the MTC

Hola familia y amigos!
Life at the mtc is very busy and loco, but its good here. we are totally busy from 600am to 1030pm every day. My companion is Hermana Willie, she grew up on a Navajo reservation and went to BYU like me. She's very sweet and we are getting along great. Hermana Crooks (from Lubbock) is in my district (district=group of ten or so missionaries that you have class and everything with), along with one other Hermana and 7 elders. The elders in my district are great, they all want to work really hard and get lots done, and they act pretty mature, all things considered. The boys will be in the us mtc for 9 weeks because they're going to Chile, so i already know that I will miss them when we leave.  Oh and hillary, a really good-looking byu football player is in my district :) I'll be trying to set you up when he's back haha or with an amigo maybe. I'm on the lookout for ya hill!  We're set to go to guate on july 19 but I don't know yet when I'll be calling, but I'll let you know!
 
Every morning at the mtc they have extra workout classes for the sisters only, probably so we don't gain so much weight...and we've been going almost every day. Then we have lots of personal study time and class. We are desperately trying to learn espanol! In about 2 weeks we won't have anyone to speak english to, so we have to hurry!! My spanish is coming along pretty well. High school spanish is actually helping me. I bore my testimony in espanol on sunday, and it was just a baby testimony but its a start. I can understand most of what people say but I don't know grammar much at all...but it will get better. Now with all this spanish practice I have a hard time thinking in either language...so that's not good haha. but it is fun, I'm so happy to be learning spanish!
 
The food here is...well, not great, but edible. I'm a little bummed that I've gained a little weight even though I haven't yet eaten anything I really like. But oh well, everyone says that we'll be sure to lose weight in guate so I'm not worried. There has also been lots of talk of parasites and yucky things like that, so I'm a little concerned about that...
 
We got to watch the stadium of fire fireworks on Saturday and stay up a little late! so that was pretty cool. We have also already had some great fireside/devotionals and I'm excited for many more to come.
 
The mtc is hard, I know it will challenge me here in lots of ways. But I have already learned a lot and I'm grateful for the experience so far. I really can't wait to know spanish! We do this thing here called "progressive investigator", where our teacher pretends to be an investigator throughout the time we are here and we teach them in spanish, and normally I would love that because I love talking to people abotu the church, but its hard because I have lots I would like to say but I can't! But that motivates me to work even harder!
 
Yo se que Jesucristo es mi Salvador, y se que el Evangelio es verdadera. Testifico que Dios nos ama y quiere que ser felicidad!  Y testifico que El libro de Mormón es verdadera.  That is my simple testimony, and I can´t wait to share it with everyone in Guatemala! I´m freaking out about leaving so soon but I know that the Lord knows what I need and where I should go. I´m greatful for His guidance in my life.
 
Have a great week and actually email me back please! I got a letter from Meg G and Hrma Jones and a nice package of cookies from Aunt Lori, but I think a few more of you should be writing me...you know who you are!
 
I love you all! Thanks for your support!
Hrma Gilland

No comments:

Post a Comment