Beautiful Guatemala

Beautiful Guatemala
Me with a random field worker. I love the knife!

Monday, July 23, 2012

A Wedding, a Baptism, and a Giant Cucaracha!


Hey everyone!!

We had a wonderful week and a WEDDING and BAPTISM!!! I still can’t believe it. Here’s what happened:

1. Miracle Big Fat Guatemalan Wedding and Baptism!!!!!   Daniel and Nereyda Pos were married and baptized on Friday!  We were just so happy. The ward really helped us out and provided a giant cake and 100 paches (kind of like wet tamales wrapped in giant leaves, yum!), and almost 100 people came. They were really happy and content. I’m not going to lie, I still had some doubts about if they understood what they were getting themselves into and if they really should get married (because they are always bickering, they sound like teenage siblings fighting), but the missionary who did their baptismal interview said that their interviews went great and that they were super ready. I was shocked ha-ha and pleased. Another cool thing that happened was that one of the exmissionaries who used to be teaching them like 2 years ago, for about 6 months, was able to come to their wedding/baptism. I know she was sooo happy that what she started was getting finished. It felt good to be able to help out like that, and made me hope that maybe after I’m home I’ll hear that someone I was teaching is getting baptized. How sweet would that be? 

I feel like I haven’t even explained the whole story very well of Daniel and Nereyda, but it has seriously just been the biggest miracle. They seemed so unprepared when we stumbled across them, we knew that they had been taught a few years back, but really, the Lord knew that it was exactly the right time for them and stuck us right in their way, and look, now we have baptized a complete family. And the ward and bishop really want to work hard to keep them here. We are going to work hard with them too. They still have a ways to go. But their goal is to go to the temple next year :) WOW. I just love being a missionary.





2. GIANT COCKROACH!!! Agh we had a MASSIVE cucaracha el la casa!! Oh my, I about died, I kind of scream uncontrollably. It was seriously 4 or 5 inches long. We killed it and then didn’t know if we should flush it or put it in the trash...so we decided to burn it ha-ha. Everyone here just burns their trash, and finally we did the same. Even after we burned it and it poured rain, its body is still pretty intact. Gross, right!  And bats keep flying in every once in a while. We are living in the wild kingdom in our house! Hopefully that will be the extent of the wildlife stories.

3. Well, as I’ve said, other than them, we don’t have much going on...it’s not from not working though. This area is crazy. But even though it’s weird and we aren’t teaching anyone right now, I am really learning a ton. I feel like the Lord has put me here to learn a lot and to help me become a little more like Christ. I have had some great prayers answered and am really learning how to ask the Lord for help, and I’m learning how the Lord communicates with me. We are learning to get creative. It’s fun. It’s hard but enjoyable, and I’m sure the Lords going to give us something here.

Thank you all for your support and prayers. Have a fantastic week!!!

Love, Hermana Gilland

No comments:

Post a Comment