Beautiful Guatemala

Beautiful Guatemala
Me with a random field worker. I love the knife!

Monday, January 16, 2012

I Have Parasites!!!!!

Hey family and anyone else reading!  I hope y'all are doing great and surviving winter and snow, even in Texas! Here's what happened this week:
 
1. I have parasites!!! Agh! So last weekend I really didn't feel like eating and I was feeling sick, so I finally went to the doctor on Tuesday and found out that I have "lombrisis", for your googling pleasure. The nurse researched it and its apparently a GIANT white worm, by GIANT I mean  a FOOT LONG! And fat like a snake. Agh!!! Gross!!!! Inside me!!! Its apparently very harmless and just likes living in my stomach eating my food. Oh, and you get it from ingesting human feces. Yikes. I'm not at all surprised though. So yea, but I took the pills and I think it died because now I have a huge appetite. I haven't had much appetite since shortly after I started here in Mazatenego, and all the sudden I want to eat everything in sight, so hopefully I dont gain lots of weight. All the hermanas gain weight. Ive lost like 3 pounds with my parasite. Maybe I should try to get it back??
 
2. So were teaching this crazy guy named Julio. He's like 60 years old and is someone in the wards dad.  His whole life he was an alcoholic and involved in bad things but now is searching for Jesus and wanting to change his life. Hes one of those people that we missionaries have nothing to do with his conversion. Hes been to church 3 times, started reading the Book of Mormon by himself, wants to be baptized, carries around a bag full of his church books - BOM, Bible, Liahona, Gospel Principles, hymnbook, etc., and when we got to church on Sunday he was outside by himself cleaning the sidewalk around the church.  He says he wants to be an Apostle, he-he. Hes crazy because he always acts a little drunk, a little loopy (he's not really drunk, that's just how he acts), and also he didn't know the rules that us girl missionaries aren't supposed to hug men, and he hugs us all the time, kissed our hands a few days ago, and yesterday at church kissed my companion on the forehead. Lovely. Yuck! His son-in-law finally told him he's not supposed to do that but he just laughed. He's getting baptized on Thurs, so who knows what the occasion will merit (maybe another kiss on the forehead). I'm a little nervous he-he, y'all know I don't like people touchin me ha-ha.
 
That's basically what we did this week. We taught lots of people, dropped lots of people, killed our parasites, and are working hard. We have some other positive people but they went out of town Sunday, bummer. I'm really grateful to be here and am learning so much. Thanks so much for your support and prayers and emails. I know that this is the Lords work. There are so many people who are ready for the gospel, or who just need a little help recognizing the gospel. I'm grateful for this time I have to be here in Guatemala. I know that our Heavenly Father loves us so much and has a wonderful plan for each of us here. Have a wonderful week!!!
 
Love, Hermana Gilland

No comments:

Post a Comment