Beautiful Guatemala

Beautiful Guatemala
Me with a random field worker. I love the knife!

Monday, January 23, 2012

Baptism of Julio Perez / Foot Soup Anyone?

Hey family and friends! Hope y'all had a great week! Mine was alright, here's what happened:
 
1. Baptism of Julio Perez!! We had such a nice baptismal service for the guy I mentioned last week, Julio. Everything went really well -- no disasters!  One of Julio's daughters and her family are members of the church in our ward, and she was so excited that her dad was getting baptized, and her husband baptized him. It was really sweet to watch them hug after he was baptized. Julio's wife and other daughter were there too, and we're hoping that they're interested in the church, even though they aren't in our area. The day of his baptism was also his birthday! So the relief society made some refreshments and we got to help, and I got to practice my tortilla-making skills. All in all, it was a very beautiful and successful baptism, definitely the smoothest so far.
 
2. So with all that success at the baptism, something had to go wrong later, right? After the baptism, all of our appointments fell. Then Sunday morning we were going around to wake people up/pick them up for church. We were really hopeful that some would go to church, but not a single investigator was at church! Agh!!! What a shame. We both just felt like crying because we've been working so hard all week and no one showed. In the daily  stats. that we take, an investigator only counts as "progressing" if they went to church the week before. Ugh so no one is progressing right now. Sad!
 
3. I don't know what's been the deal lately with weird gross food, but on Saturday I ate my new worst food yet, worse than the pork stomach. "Caldode pato" or "foot soup", cow foot, to be exact. AGH how horrible was this soup! Its literally a cow hoof and lower leg, cooked and chopped up into chunks. So you get lots of weird and different textures, like skin, nerves, ligaments, cartilage, bone, UGH! Mostly really squishy and rubbery. Awful! I just swallowed the pieces whole mostly. Our lunch lady gave us this, and almost everything she gives us is really good. Agh. And she almost made us eat it again on Sunday! But then she asked if wed rather have some frijolitos, and we were saved. I hope I can stop writing y'all about the "worst food" Ive eaten, hopefull that soup is as bad as it will get.
 
Oh and something else gross this week is that we went to the house of a member who is a young mom with lots of health problems, and offered to wash her laundry. This, of course, is by hand, and what was gross was that there were little maggots in it! Gross! Everything in this country is dirty and gross, but this was extra. When I get back to America, I'm going to be able to handle anything!
 
So that's basically what we were up to this week. Were working really hard and trying to find families that are ready for the gospel. I know that this is Gods work on earth. I know that Christ lives and loves each of us so much. I'm so grateful to be here and to see miracles all the time. I'm learning so much, I can't imagine what my life would be like without my mission. Thanks for all your support! Have an awesome week!!

Love, 
Hermana Gilland

No comments:

Post a Comment