Beautiful Guatemala

Beautiful Guatemala
Me with a random field worker. I love the knife!

Monday, September 26, 2011

The Ward Cake Activity

Hola everyone!
Thanks so much for writing me some emails this past week! It was so fun to actually have some emails not from my mom (no offense mom he-he). Sounds like everyone is doing great except for BYU football...this sounds like a good season to miss...

This week was pretty good. Here are a few things we did:
1. Hiking in the legit jungle. Were teaching someone that lives way far in the jungle. Cool!
2. Learned how to tortillar, or to make tortillas. I need to practice a lot but hopefully I can master it by the time I leave. 
3. Fought off cucarachas! Up until a few days ago we had only had like 3 cucarachas, but the other day we had so many! We are buying bugspraytoday. And when I say we fought them off, I mostly mean my comp did because I am kind of a wuss...
4. RS General Broadcast! It was awesome. I love Pres. Uchtdorf. It made me really excited for conference this week. We had to watch the rs broadcast in Spanish but well probably have conference in English. Yay!
5. Cake activity in the ward! We are really hard up for references, so a few elders gave us the idea of watching this quick movie about inviting your friends to listen to the missionaries, and then giving each family a sheet of paper and 5 minutes to write down as many names and families as they can, and the top 3 families with the most names win cakes! And here cakes are really special and expensive because no one has an oven and can make their own cake, and they're really expensive Q100, which is like $13, but that's really expensive around here. Lots of poor people have never tasted cake. So we did the activity and it went great and we got about 150 references! So were going to work really hard in the next few weeks to find those of these references who are ready for the gospel! Were super excited. 
6. Our awesome family Ani y Selson are doing well. Were planning on them being baptized on Oct 8. They were going to come to church but they got there really late and they couldn't hear anyone in the building and thought it was over. Super bummer, but they at least tried! They're excited for conference this weekend and I'm really excited to watch them and help them progress in the gospel. They already have noticed the blessings of the gospel in their lives. They're awesome. 

So that was basically my week. It was pretty fun and I'm excited to keep working hard. Thanks again for emailing me. It is great to hear from everyone. I'm really grateful for the opportunity to serve a mission. I am learning lots all the time. I know that the gospel is true and that it has the power to bless everyone's lives. I know that the Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ. I know that the Atonement is real and that we can use it in our lives daily. I love the church and the gospel and my Savior.  Have a great week everyone! 

Hermana Gilland

No comments:

Post a Comment