Beautiful Guatemala

Beautiful Guatemala
Me with a random field worker. I love the knife!

Monday, September 12, 2011

I Gave a Talk on Sunday


Hola everyone!!

This week has been good. We had a baptism on Saturday! Its not quite as exciting as it sounds because it was for 2 8 yr old kids and a 9 yr old kid, but baptisms are always nice. Other than that we've been having kind of a hard time finding promising people to teach. My comp says its just a little time of bad luck. We even taught an atheist a few days ago, the first atheist my comp has met in the 15 months shes been here ha ha, so that's the kind of luck we're having with investigators. But we're working really hard trying to find people and have a few appointments that we're excited for this coming week. We've also been working a lot with less-actives around here and have been seeing some good results with that. A few of them came to church on SundayYea! Working with less actives is really important because there are a ton of them around here, and mostly we just need to remind them of how important church is and how important their baptismal covenants are. So even though I'm a little bummed that we don't have any progressing investigators, its OK and we're doing good things.  We also work a lot with the recent converts. A whole lot of them can't read, which makes teaching the gospel a little different. But its neat to see that they still have testimonies in the gospel, even without being able to read the Book of Mormon and Bible.
This past Sunday I spoke at church. Yikes. It went fine though, people said they could understand me and all that, think goodness ha ha. Spanish is still coming along and I'm learning to not be as nervous when I'm teaching and talking. If I just let myself go and talk, it goes alright, but when I start to wonder if what I'm saying is actually right then I start getting mixed up ha ha so the trick I think is to not think about it. A similar thing happens when I'm listening to people, because I can pretty much get everything that people are saying, but when they say something pretty off the wall (like yesterday when we were contacting someone started telling us how Christ and Adam are equal, something strange) then I think there's no way I just heard that right' and then I get lost. So that's kind of funny. But I'm loving Spanish and am so excited to improve.
That's pretty much all that's going on around here. I really hope to have some progressing investigators next week...we'll see what we can do. Thanks so much for y'alls prayers and support!  I am so grateful and happy to be serving a mission. I am having so much fun and learning so much. I'm so grateful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ and this time I have to see it working in peoples lives and to help people understand these things. Hope y'all have a great week!
Hermana Gilland

No comments:

Post a Comment