Beautiful Guatemala

Beautiful Guatemala
Me with a random field worker. I love the knife!

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

My Companion Has Never Used a Washing Machine or Dryer!!!!!


Hola familia y amigos!
 
I hope everyone has had a great week! 
 
I am officially a "Latina"! Ive been in the Latino district for a week now. My companion is Hermana Villanueva from Peru. She is very sweet and we haven't had any trouble communicating and planning lessons together, which is a miracle ha ha. Interesting fact -- today we did laundry and she had never used a washing machine/dryer -- WOW! She doesn't speak a bit of English except for the things Ive taught her. I'm picking up lots of Spanish from her and all day in my classes all in Spanish. It is pretty challenging but I'm really glad I made the switch, I needed a challenge, and I have learned SO MUCH! Not just in the language -- I'm learning lots about the culture. Before having my Latina companion I hadn't really given much thought to how challenging it will be in the field with a trainer who I can hardly talk to. I'm learning that its hard but totally possible through the Lord's help. Ive also learned that these people really are so humble. Before my mission when people told me that, I just thought they were mostly using it as a nice word for "poor", but they really are HUMBLE, they listen carefully to everything anyone says and take it into consideration, and they don't judge like we tend to do in the states. I really hope I can adopt some of their traits for my own before this is over :)  My district is great and we're all warming up to each other. I'm totally the odd-man-out in class now, but its OK. They're really sweet and when I tell them how nervous I am to talk in front of them, because I sound like a little kid and can hardly function, they don't understand ha ha, and its because they don't judge my lacking Spanish abilities. Another interesting fact -- almost all Latinos are completely tone-deaf. I almost laugh every time we sing a song. And Ive had a cold this week so I really fit in ha ha.  The other Latina sisters are also sweethearts, they are so helpful to us nortes.
 
I really love it here in the CCM, and I cant believe we only have 12 days left! Yikes! I'm super excited and terrified and all that. It will be awesome. Sometimes I don't know if we're ever going to learn Spanish, but I suppose it will come. Thanks for all your support! Sé que ésta es la obra del Señor. Jesucristo vive. El Libro de Mormón esta verdadero. Dios tiene un plan para nosotros. Dios nos ama. El Evangelio está en la tierra hoy! I love being a missionary! It is the best! I am so glad to be here and so honored that the Lord allows me to be a part of His work.
 
Have a great week!
 
PS good luck Hillary! You are going to have the time of your life! Meghan S, look up Hillary and yall give her a hand up there in Utah :) Good luck with school everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment