Beautiful Guatemala

Beautiful Guatemala
Me with a random field worker. I love the knife!

Monday, November 5, 2012

Don't Worry Mom, He Isn't Dangerous........We Could Always Hit Him With Our Umbrellas


Hey guys!!!

I feel like I just wrote a few days ago. I hope everyone’s doing well! Happy birthday Granny!!! We had a really great week and I am learning so much. We are so dang busy and there is just not enough time to do everything! But here are some of our experiences we had this week:

1. We finally put the baptismal date with Idelia!!!!!!!  Agh!  This week was rough at first because we were working really hard with the families that we are teaching but they weren’t progressing at all and we just didn’t know what to do and what we were doing wrong. I was stressed because I’m almost outa here.  I can’t just go home with nothing going on. So Friday we planned some really good things to do; we were going to contact several references we had received the day before and go with 3 partial families in the afternoon. But seriously everything fell. Not one of the references was even a little bit positive, and everything fell in the afternoon and we ended up wasting a lot of time. It feels really really crappy to go home at the end of the day, when you’ve only got so many days left out here, with nothing at all to show for it. Geez, I read my favorite chapter in the Book of Mormon, Ether 12, and wrote in my journal, and I don’t know, I just felt ok and felt like we had put in our all that day and that the Lord was going to bless us and that we just had to keep having faith, even more faith...... And the next morning we had a giant miracle and managed to set the baptismal date with Idelia!!!!! I am so excited!!! I don’t know if y’all remember me writing about her, but she is the partial family where we had a really special, really simple lesson a few weeks ago. I don’t know what happened or how, but she finally accepted a date. They have to get married first, so we get to plan another wedding!!!! Yay! That’s fun, a little stressful, but fun :) Wow we still can’t believe it! So if everything turns out, this weekend is their wedding and her baptism!!!!!

2. More partial families!!!  Seriously this area is full full full of partial families that we keep finding. We have one right now, familia Monzòn, who are really positive. The husband was baptized like 20 years ago and the wife’s not a member (yet). The husband is really excited to make changes in his life. The wife isn’t quite as excited about everything, but she’s nice and listens to us, and we know that if they just start praying and reading the scriptures together, shell want to get baptized. They went to church on Sunday and were really happy there, and have been to church in the past, and have lots of family members who are members, so it’s only a matter of time. The husband has a little gym and has invited us to come for free! That’s great for a few reasons: one, we know he really likes us, and two, because we can work out and I can get into a little better shape before I go home. 

The one big obstacle or one of the big obstacles is that they live over by where this crazy angry American-hating drunk who apparently was in prison for 20 years in America lives.  He goes to the gym all the time. The first time we met him last week, we were talking to the family on their porch for the first time, and he came and kind of cornered us there and was asking us questions about how he could be a missionary like us and serve in America (not the first time I’ve heard that). We tried to explain to him that he can’t be a missionary for several reasons, and I kind of lost my temper with him because we were trying to contact this awesome family and he was totally ruining it!  He just got angry and was yelling and causing a scene about how missionaries can get into any country easy and that it wasn’t fair and that we needed to get out of Guatemala because it’s his country and all this stuff, some in English, with lots of bad words. And he wouldn’t leave. So we had to hide in the house for a while until he left and then sneak home. Now we seem to find him all the time and he always comes over and starts yelling and he’s really rude. My biggest concern is that we have caused problems between him and the family, and that the whole neighborhood is listening to what he says about the church.  He claims that we are spies from America (not the first time I’ve hear that), etc. But yea, there’s always something right? In a way it’s kind of funny.  Don’t worry mom, he isn’t dangerous.  He’s not going to hurt us or anything.  He’s all talk!   We can always hit him with our umbrellas! Ha-ha. 

Well, I’m about out of time but I love being a missionary and I know that the church is true!  I know that what we are teaching, everyone needs to hear.  We are working really hard. I hope y’all have a great week and I really hope that Romney wins!!!

Love,
Hna Gilland

No comments:

Post a Comment