Beautiful Guatemala

Beautiful Guatemala
Me with a random field worker. I love the knife!

Monday, September 10, 2012


Hey everyone!!!

Another week flew by; man time is starting to go super-fast. The days seem long but the week flies and before I know it its Monday again. We had a busy week and worked really hard!  Here are a few things that happened:

1. We had tons of appointments this week and were really busy! We also had a 2 day conference with president that was really good but took up time, so we were really rushing all around town trying to visit all our investigators, all the less actives in hopes that they would go to church on Sunday and keep the attendance alright. We also found a new family this week and we were really excited about them.  But then Sunday was a little disappointing because we only ended up having Diego, the kid we are teaching, in church. And a lot of the less actives didn’t end up going either: / But some of them did, and hey, we worked our tails off this week, so ya.  It’s really fulfilling to come home beat at the end of the day. I’ve been going to bed early because I’m just sooooo tired!  I think I’m losing my mind here he-he. Last week I was feeling kind of baggy (trunky), and all this week I was freaking out because I don’t have too much longer out here, and I have really come to love this, teaching, meeting people, working hard, etc. Sometimes I don’t know how I’m going to be able to go home when I love so much being a missionary. I’m just learning so much here!  (But I’m just going to be honest, sometimes I’m really beat and going home in a few months doesn’t sound bad at all :) )

2. Just a quick story: This week we went with a member family to real quick to talk to them about a reference they had for us. The mom's dad is this sweet, tiny little old man, Hermano Milo (he comes up to my shoulder he-he). He is 93 years old, and he used to be the stake patriarch, but he doesn’t give blessings anymore for his health. He can’t remember anyone’s names, but he always greets you so happily, asking our names and where we are living. Everyone always talks about how he used to go with the missionaries. He loves missionary work. When we went with them this week we spent a few minutes chatting about things and about the references, and Hno. Milo slipped out of the room and we kept talking. He appeared about 15 minutes later with mugs of atol for us that he had thoughtfully prepared by himself. (atol is a hot oatmeal drink that is really good) I really love his example of service, because even though he can’t really remember what’s going on and who everyone is, he loves serving, and has dedicated his whole life to service, and even in his old age thinks of little ways to serve other people. Service is such a part of his life that he’s not going to forget it. What an amazing example. I hope that when I’m old I can be like hno. Milo and follow the example of Jesus Christ no matter what.

                                     Daniel and Nereyda at their baptism on 7-20-12

3.  Update on Familia Pos:  Familia Pos is the family we baptized about 2 months ago, or Daniel and Nereyda, I don’t know if yall remember, but whew, they are crazy and the Lord had to make about a dozen miracles happen for them to get baptized. They’ve been struggling but we have had some great experiences with them. They’ve been going to church sometimes, but are still really shaky and need lots of work. But I love them. Last night we went with them and passed the first hour just laughing our heads off with them! They’re just crazy! They were making fun of how I say the "rr" in Spanish (and I can totally say the "rr" good, just so you know), and I was making fun of how they can’t even say a thing in English. And then we started to share a lesson, really trying to figure out their needs and Daniel just straight up confessed to us that he’s been drinking and smoking and using drugs with his friends sometimes, not a lot. Well, usually that’s a crushing blow to the missionaries when their recent converts are not living any of the things we taught them, but I don’t know, it didn’t make me sad. He expressed to us that he wants to change, he feels bad for what he’s done, and that’s why he hasn’t really wanted to go to church, because he feels guilty. It was such a nice experience to testify to him of the power of the Atonement and that he really can change these things. By himself, probably not, but if he prays all week, personally and with his wife, he will have the strength to overcome temptations. And I know that that’s true. When we were talking to him, I think I could maybe just a little see how a parent, or how our Heavenly Father feels when one of his children comes unto him, wanting to change, not seeing a way out, really sad. I felt so much love for them in this moment. The message of the healing power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ is the greatest message on earth. I know that the Atonement has power over everything because I’ve seen it work in my life and in the lives of others. And I have really learned more in these weeks about the great importance of repenting. It’s the way that we can be happy. I love the Gospel and know with all my heart that it’s true. I loved the Liahona/Ensign this month because it talked a lot about senior missionaries, and it really made me want to keep serving in the church my whole life. I’m definitely going on more missions when I’m older. And I just think “wow, I’m going to be so much better at teaching and listening to the spirit and everything in 30 or 40 years!" I love this gospel and am proud to be a part of it!  

I hope y’all have a great week!!  Everyone should read the Liahona/Ensigh first presidency message of this month about MISSIONARY WORK!!!  Really, it’s not that hard. You just have to PRAY that the Lord puts in your path someone who needs the gospel, and then be WILLING to act. Y’all can do it! Read the message and pray to know how you can put it into practice in your lives. Ok, have a great week! Thanks for all your support!!

Love,
Hermana Gilland

No comments:

Post a Comment