Beautiful Guatemala

Beautiful Guatemala
Me with a random field worker. I love the knife!

Monday, March 26, 2012

Teaching in a House Full of Rats!

March 26, 2012

Hey everyone!!!

We had a really great week as a mission! For the month of march we hit a big record! 242 baptisms with 39 families!!! So everyone is super happy and working hard.

Here is what we did this week:

1. Baptism of Roselia!  We had about 12 miracles to make Roselia's baptism happen. I think I explained about her last week, but shes been going to church for forever and has had lots of missionaries, but hasn't been able to get baptized because her husband wouldn't marry her.  I'm pretty sure Heavenly Father just got sick of her not being baptized, because a few weeks ago they got married, and  then by some miracle the husband gave permission for her to be baptized. We hit a few more large snags in the week, but the Lord put angels in her path and in the end she was baptized and confirmed this weekend, finally.  Shes been wanting to get baptized for so long, and she is now so happy. Shes been though a ton of missionaries, and we are so grateful for all their work in preparing for this special day.

2. Hermanas Conference!  Last Monday and Tuesday we had a special hermanas conference. We had some lessons with President and Hermana Maravilla, watched "The Best 2 Years", and went to the beach. I don't know how it happened but we went to the beach on the second cold, chilly day of my whole mission. Ha. So we were soaked by the rain, not in the ocean. But the conference was really fun, it was a great time to get to know all the hermanas in the mission. There are about 30ish hermanas, I think? President talked to us only about marriage. Geez.  Hes obsessed. He'd be happy if all of us hermanas were engaged within 2 months of getting home. Not happening. Oh well, we love President! And he is just so happy about all that happened this month. Ahhh.

3. Gross story alert! So my mom and a few of y'all who read my emails have told me how gross some of my stories are. I'm sorry! Life here is gross a lot of the time ha-ha. They're my best stories. Ha-ha, so this one isn't so bad. We are teaching a 17 year old named Gerardo and he is super awesome. He has already gone to church twice and has a baptismal date for April 7Th. We are also working with his mom, sister, and her kids. The one big bad thing about the whole situation with these guys is that their house is FULL OF RATS!!!!! AGHHHH!!!!! It is a wooden house, and its filthy, and we just sit there and watch the rats run around in the rafters and on the wall. And they're not little mice, mice don't faze me anymore. They're big black rats. I think my mom would faint if she had to sit in this house. So I always feel stressed when I'm teaching because out of the corner of my eye I see the rats running around, or I hear them behind me or in the other room. I pray for the ability to handle it in their house and feel the Spirit in the lessons, despite the rats. But it will be OK, Gerardo is really awesome and is going to get baptized, and hopefully the whole family.  So we will keep going to the rat house. I just hope they don't attack us!

So that was our week. It was pretty good. We are excited about the work that we have right now. Also, my comp might have changes and I might be training. I know Ive said that before, but its just because they always tell me and then change the plans! So yea, maybe Ill have an hija next time I write.

Also, next week, if my computer works, I'll send a pic of me "pregnant". Ha-ha its tradition for the hermanas to stuff their shirt with a pillow or something and take a pic pregnant on their nine-month-mark, and I hit 9 months on March 29. WOW. Geez, how weird. So yea, you have that to look forward to, he-he.

I hope y'all have a fantastic week and ENJOY CONFERENCE!!! It should be AWESOME!  Thanks for your support and prayers!

Love, 
Hermana Gilland

No comments:

Post a Comment