Beautiful Guatemala

Beautiful Guatemala
Me with a random field worker. I love the knife!

Monday, December 5, 2011

I'm a tall gringa and watch out for the Guin!!!!


Happy December everyone! 

I seriously cannot believe that it is December already! Officially today I have one year left of my mission. How weird! OK so here is what happened this past week:

1. Fasting miracles! We had 8 investigators at church on Sunday!!! Wow! It was the best ever! And all of them were little miracles. My comp and I did divisions to pass by for them Sunday morning. My comp went for familia Hernandez, I mentioned them last week. She says that when she got there the dad and kid were getting ready to go, but the mom had been called in to work at the hospital all night and hadn't returned yet. But, when they were about to pull away in the moto taxi to go to church, the mom arrived, went into the house and changed her blouse, and was out the door ready to go to church, even though she hadn't slept at all! I went to get Hermana Isabel (the lady I wrote about last week who didn't want to stop smoking, she´s back on and has a baptismal date for this Saturday ya!) and when I got there she said that all this stuff happened the night before, she was sick, and she hadn't slept at all because she was worried about the Guin (pronounced Win, some crazy devil thing, he apparently is some animal creature that kills your chickens, and he can turn into a man and snatch up young girls. I know, this place is nuts, right?) Anyways, despite all that, she was getting herself and her granddaughters ready to go! Ya! So it was a super awesome Sunday.

2. Were teaching some really great people right now. Isabel, the lady who has to quit smoking, is doing well and is excited to be baptized. Also,familia Hernandez is great! Were hoping they'll be baptized in like 2 weeks. Its great that they're a family because we can never find whole families to teach. Were teaching a few others too right now who are really positive, we are being so blessed to be able to work with them.

3. funny story -- so we were teaching family Hernandez last week, and we asked the dad, Hermano Noé, to say the closing prayer and he agreed. His prayer had a super powerful effect on my comp though, because right when he said "amen", she somehow fell off her stool and was flat on her back on the floor! It was the funniest! The stool didn't break or anything, she doesn't know what happened, but it was hilarious. So that's just a little more evidence that this family is awesome ha-ha.

4. another funny story -- so we were getting in a "bus" (giant van) one day, and I bumped my head on the top of the door opening. I do that all the time, I don't know why. Anyways, this man sitting there saw and commented, " Ay no, es que ella es bien alta" or "Oh its because shes so tall" hahahaand he was being serious! What the?! Its because I'm a gringa and everyone just thinks that all gringos are tall. We laughed pretty hard at that one.

So that's pretty much what I did this week. It was a great week, I'm super excited to see how things pan out with our investigators. I really love being a missionary, its so fun. I know that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is on the earth. I know that we have a living prophet just like in old times. I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God. I'm so grateful to be serving a mission. I hope y'all all have a great week! Good luck to everyone prepping for finals. Definitely not jealous of y'all he-he. Have fun getting ready for Christmas!
Love, Hermana Gilland

No comments:

Post a Comment